Thursday, April 19, 2012

Broken Finger

Purple streaks run across the sky -- along with pink and blue. The glowing orange sun begins to set below the horizon. Sitting on top of these grassy hills gives me the honor of seeing this beautiful scenery. At the bottom of hill there's golden sand that sparkles with reflection of the sun. The ocean breeze feels wonderful against my skin.

Swiftly I get up and begin to walk down to the shore line. My feet are bare and I hold my sandals in my hand. The cool ocean waters tickle my feet, but it's refreshing. I simply walk along the coast with my eyes closed and my mind wide open. Inside my head, my thoughts float around freely. Slowly, I get a little further out into the water -- where it's at my knees.

I find a shell with a crooked side sticking out of the sandy water. Crouching down, I pick it up. After a while, I realize that this is no ordinary shell, there's a little chain on the side. It's someone's lost treasure.

Time seems to fly by as I examine the shell. The winds are turning from an ocean breeze to a brisk draft. Waves profusely come from the horizon. Skies are turning grey and soon my beach fantasy has turned into a storm. My hair wildly whipped around my face. Staring up, I realized I had to go soon.

I galloped out of the water, while at the same time, letting the necklace sink back down. This storm could be strong, destructive. Palm trees and flowers blow around frantically. The beach has been evacuated, except for me. I begin my run back home. The winds nearly disorient me from where I'm going. I feel like I'm running zig-zagged up the hill.

My house is not far. I'm sprinting as fast as I possibly can down the vacant road. Right when I get home, I open the door and dive right into my floor. The door slams shut behind me. My family comes running up, nearly in tears, making sure I'm okay. They thought I was a goner. The storms could hit any second now – destroying everything. And so it came.

Waves knocked at our doors, and then burst them open. Glass exploded to the smash of the winds. Chairs and decks were ripped from the ground and thrown around. Rain began to pour from the clouds. Ocean waves reached the sky before the crashed down on us. Before I knew it, my world became smashed too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment